Sunday 16 September 2012

Thinking the Impossible: The Birth of Amazement Through Subtlety by Ramon Rioboo

It has been a really great year for lovers of magic books. I realise that there will always be a hefty number of people lacking the time, ability or inclination to sit and read a book on magic, but I know they are undoubtedly missing out on some of the finest magic available. I read a lot. A hellish amount. I've grown to realise that there is a fantastically strong correlation between the quality of a magic book, and how Spanish the author's name sounds.

Up until six months ago, I had never, sadly, heard of Ramon Rioboo. It wasn't until we procured several copies of "Thinking The Impossible" (available here) that I became aware of this pasteboard powerhouse. Borrowing a copy, I devoured it over the course of one night. I have revisited the book several times now, savouring each and every word, and although cliched, there really is something for everyone in here.

Ramon opens the book by explaining, in great depth and covering some excellent subtleties, some basic tools of his trade. This section includes some fantastic thoughts on how to practice your card magic, an elegantly simple card addition, the good-old (but sadly underused) crimp, the principle of equal piles, as well as a whole host of ideas using "treated  cards". 

Jumping ahead, I took greatest interest in the chapter titled "No Preparation and Light on Sleights". Opening this chapter, Ramon discusses how best to hide the mathematical nature of sleight-free card tricks. He really does not disappoint. 16 solid effects are then explained in expert detail, covering every nuance and subtlety required in order to squeeze maximum potential out of each one. "In the Bluff", the very first trick in the book, has had me enthralled. I have performed this trick at every opportunity, both for magicians in the shop, and laypeople outside, and have had nothing but fantastic reactions. After changing the presentation to suit me a little bit-more (I may just upload a video of this at some point), I find it fantastic when it leaves knowledgeable magicians stumped, the layfolk love it. I have strong feelings toward all of the tricks in this first chapter, they are ideal as those tricks that sit in the back of your mind until a friend throws you a deck of cards down the pub and asks you to dance. No skill, totally independent of the type of deck you are working with, and real fooling and entertaining magic. This chapter, whilst simple in methodology, delivers effects that will, if Ramon's subtleties are followed, will also fool your magical brethren at your next magic session. 

Jumping ahead, the next chapter "With Some Simple Preparation", explains two of my favourite effects in the book. These are real killers, and are probably going to find a home amongst my entry for this years entry in the Newcastle Magic Circle's "Lennox Shield Close-up Competion". 

Ramon has a fantastic chapter dedicated to his work with Tamariz's Mnemonica (and other stacks), in in which he details five effects that are sure to appeal to lovers of stack work.

"Duplicates, gimmicks and special cards" has some real killer effects, and whilst I don't think the majority of people will find a home for these in their real-world working repertoire (i.e. table hopping), they are fantastic effects that deserve your attention. 

Ramon finishes the book with a chapter on "The Treated Card", which I must admit, I have yet to fully absorb. If these effects follow their predecessors, I am sure they are of the highest caliber. 

Once again, this book has confirmed my belief that you can take a solid bet on anything published by "The Hermetic Press", or from any author originating from that part of the world with such an amazing reputation for producing fantastic cardmen. 

I highly recommend this book!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment