Tuesday 11 September 2012

Woody Aragón

Bonfire night is always a crazy time for us. As well as magic, our shop also retails fireworks all year round. This year, however, November the 5th is going to be really special. Woody Aragon is visting the Newcastle Magic Circle as a lecturer.

I've been a massive fan of Woody's work ever since we first got his first English published volume in stock. "A Book in English" (available here) is easily in my top-five magic books of all time. I really wish I had a working Men In Black Neuralyzer. I would zap Woody's routines out of my mind, so I could enjoy reading them for the first time again. Woody's magic takes a very healthy dose of subtlety and mixes it with a Spanish portion of clever routining to deliver effects that are guaranteed to fool as well as entertain. 

"Maverick", "Routined Spelling", "How to Find Your Other Half", and "The Human Scale" are all real killer effects. Whilst these are my pet favourites, I must admit it was hard to limit this list. There are some fantastic essays in here too. Woody once again proves that you need look no further than Spain if you are looking for the very best in modern, fresh, entertaining card magic. 

One very minor criticism I had of the book was some of the little typos and grammatical errors that the proof-readers should really have picked up on. In one instance, a whole paragraph was repeated twice. I understand this criticism really isn't fair, Woody's work is certainly better written than my "Book in Spanish" would be. I have no doubt that these small issues will be fixed in subsequent reprints, of which I am sure there will be many. "A Book in English" is guaranteed to be in demand for a long-time to come.

As a massive fan, I won't have to wait quite so long to get my next Woody fix. We are sitting patiently waiting for his massive 4 DVD set to arrive with our suppliers on the 17th of September. Woodyland is definitely one of my most eagerly anticipated magic products of all-time. 

If you already have "A Book in English" I'd love to hear what you think is your favourite effect. 

Stay tuned for news on Woodyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment